Monday, September 3, 2007

Knitting, striking, up to my neck in babies

I am she of the irregular posts. Somedays I feel inspired to share & sometimes it just feels like there are too many other things to do.

Caring for two babes has been a challenging shift, but luckily we've had the big daddy around to share in the caring. Unfortunately big daddy has to go back to work tomorrow & we are going to miss him like crazy. It sets us to dreaming about ways to not have to go to work. Then I start thinking about this insane strike. 7 weeks. No deal. No bargaining. We aren't asking for anything crazy, in fact we would accept the deal that all of the municipalities around us have received, but these f*&kers aren't offering. Are they trying to break the unions? Are they setting the stage for contracting out during the Olympics? Are they totally inhuman greedy robots who don't care about what this is doing to people both financially & emotionally? I know that we are in the right, that asking for the reasonable introduction of pay equity is a human right & that we are righteous. But it's getting harder & harder to pump up my sweet, lovely, brilliant brothers & sisters who are feeling crushed by this show of complete disrespect by our employers. I love my job. I can't wait to go back. But I won't give in.

So life is a blur of babies & striking & loving my co-workers. And knitting! These clever strikers are knitting up a storm, mostly toques for folks on the lower east side (acrylic - some insanely hideous, but you know, their hearts are in the right place - too bad acrylic going to stink in no time). Anyways, I'm working on a Scrum Helmet, as well as a cardigan & sweater vest for Miss O. Pictures to come.

Oy.

1 comment:

brie said...

You pretty much rule, Kristy. I will take sporadic posts over no posts. Also, visits on the picket line---mostly from me since my life is a jumble of places to be as of tomorrow (school officially starts).