Monday, June 18, 2007

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly


Inspiration:
This amazing exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery (loved her ideas about time and space).
This sweet lil' guy. His asymetrical whimsy will inspire my version of Hillary Lang's Wee Bunny for Olive's birthday.
This awesome tree, which I plan on turning into a mobile for Olive. She loves mobiles. Why not?
Build Green on The Nature of Things last night. Now we really, really want a rammed earth house. (Can you say polar opposite to the black mold covered co-op we interviewed for on Saturday? The one that they're going to recarpet and paint right before we'd move in? Why is almost all social/co-op housing completely unhealthy? We say thanks but no thanks to toxins off-gassing everywhere).

Deflating:
All of the news. I cannot listen to one more story about the planet dying and the futility of trying to fight it because India and China are industrializing rapidly and once all of the billions of people there have cars we are truly fucked. De-press-ing. Why don't we all just shoot ourselves now?
The movie Blood Diamond. What was I thinking? I'm finding that now that I'm a mama, I am hyper sensitive to films (especially those based on facts) or stories about children being maimed, hurt, neglected, abused or exploited. Child soldiers? Hands being chopped off? I know about all of this already, so what made me think I needed to watch a dramatization? It all just makes me feel hopeless. How can we treat each other this way?

So, where is the balance? Excess, consumption, waste, total and complete disregard for our fellow humans and the planet. And what can I do to make it just that little bit better? Oh Olive, I truly hope that we turn that corner, otherwise, I don't know what I have done.

No comments: