Monday, April 16, 2007

One life



Mental health is a tough thing. Are people sicker these days than they used to be or is it just that we're more aware?

I think that we're all feeling a bit worse. We're isolated from nature and from each other. And when we try to communicate it's often using technology instead of sitting face to face, where we can read each others bodies as well as hear our words.

I'm miscommunicating with people these days. I'm making people cry. I'm crying a lot. This is a hard time for me. Harder than anything I've ever experienced. And when I have perspective I know that my life is grand, it's beautiful. My healthy, thriving babe, my supportive, kind and infinitely loving husband (not possible? yes, it is). I don't have cancer. My baby isn't dying from a horrific genetic disease (knock, knock, knock on wood). I have two loving parents and a great circle of friends and family. But this sleep thing in conjunction with mental health issues that I have never really dealt with almost has me beat. I am struggling. Not all of the time, but for moments, minutes, hours every day I feel like there is no way out, no way to get better. I know that there is. I know this. But sometimes it is so hard - and this isn't because I'm lazy or ungrateful or weak. I need to get through this getting Olive to sleep better thing, get myself some sleep, and then I need to make a real committment to my mental health. Because I love my husband, and I love my Olive, and I need to really love me so that we can all truly experience, relish, cherish this life together. Because this is all there is. Just this one life.

June Callwood died on Saturday (watch this link - please do). I wish that I had known her. Ah, the wisdom. We can only hope.

1 comment:

brie said...

"They're bringing squash soup"! What an interview, what a woman! Thanks for posting that Kristy---I really know nothing about her. I'm going to look her up. Also, I stole it and re-posted it.

As for your thoughts on mental health. I really think the issues have always been there, but people just haven't been as open to them. I just found out that one of my grandmother's had post-partum depression in the 1950s. It's the first that I'd heard of it. It's so weird that people aren't comfortable talking about mental health when it seems to be one of the most fundamental aspects of well-being.

I try to be really open about my mental health with my friends and family. I think that's the only way that people will start getting comfortable with it.

Enough already---we've got to hang out! I'm going to call you when I'm back from Tokyo.

xo